Things to do
Exploring beyond Alkantmooi Private Nature Reserve by no means diminishes the beautiful experience. Plettenberg Bay is famous for its unspoiled beaches, fascinating tourist attractions, good restaurants and interesting shops. Just up the road is The Crags, an area known for everything from elephants, monkeys, birds and wild cats to pottery, a theatre in a barn and a variety of wine farms.
Conveniently situated for an easy slip onto the N2 highway, Alkantmooi Private Nature Reserve is the ideal base from which to explore the Garden Route and beyond. The world’s highest commercial bungee jump, Africa’s largest cave system, shark cage diving, whale watching, the Tsitsikamma forest and more are all within easy day-trip distance. The region also boasts 14 top class golf courses.
Or you can simply sit on your stoep at Alkantmooi and savour the beauty in every direction.
Below is a selection of attractions we think you may enjoy, but there are many more. Please visit or contact the tourism information centres, listed at the end of this page, for more information.
On and Around Alkantmooi
- Pack a daypack and hike or cycle from Alkantmooi into the neighbouring Keurbooms River Nature Reserve. The circle route through fynbos and indigenous forest is relatively easy and offers beautiful views from several high lying areas.
- The Keurbooms River Nature Reserve hires canoes for daytrips up the river, but you may bring your own boats, waterskis, and windsurfers - just remember you may require a permit, so please enquire at the reception kiosk.
- The Reserve also has several beautiful riverside picnic spots, some only reachable by boat.
- Take a guided trip up the river on the ferry or rent a motor boat at Keurbooms River Ferries. +27 (0)44 532 7876 www.ferry.co.za
Plettenberg Bay Info
Set between shady blue mountains and shimmering seas, Plettenberg Bay is often referred to as the 'jewel of the Garden Route' and is its ultimate sun and fun destination. Beaches, lagoons, fragrant fynbos and lush indigenous forest are set against a backdrop of the Outeniqua and Tsitsikamma Mountains.
Just over an hour's drive (98km) from the George Airport, Plettenberg Bay is situated on the south-east coast of the Western Cape province, 240km from Port Elizabeth and 500km from Cape Town. As part of the renowned Garden Route, it offers a convenient base for a host of diverse attractions and activities.
The beautiful bay where the Bitou, Keurbooms and Piesang Rivers run into the Indian Ocean, is associated with a temperate climate of average midday temperatures of 17°C in winter and 27°C in summer, an average of 300 days of sunshine and an average rainfall of 945mm per year, most of which falls during winter.
- Keurbooms River Nature Reserve: +27 (0)44 533 2125/85
- Bitou (Plettenberg Bay) Tourism: +27 (0)44 533 4065
- Bitou Municipality: +27 (0)44 501 3000 and +27 (0)44 533 1692 after hours.
- Ambulance: 10177
- Fire Department: +27 (0)44 533 5000
- Police +27 (0)44 533 2100 or 10111 for emergencies
- National Sea Rescue Institute: +27 (0)44 533 2744 or +27 (0)82 990 5975 after hours
Plettenberg Bay and Surrounds (within 25km from Alkantmooi)
- Eagle Encounters at The Heath is a birds of prey rehabilitation centre.
- Flying displays at 11am, 1pm and 3pm. +27 (0)44 532 7537 www.eagleencounters.co.za
- Skydive Plettenberg Bay offers tandem jumps and courses. +27 (0)82 905 7440 www.skydiveplett.com
- Fresh produce, arts, crafts and entertainment at Harvestime Saturday Farmer's Market, N2, Harkerville.
- Whale and dolphin watching by boat. Ocean Blue Adventures at +27 (0)44 533 5083 or Ocean Safaris at +27 (0)44 533 4963 www.oceansafaris.co.za
- Guided sea kayaking, no previous paddling required. +27 (0)83 590 3405 www.dolphinadventures.co.za
- Take a guided trip on the ferry or rent a motor boat at Keurbooms River Ferries. +27 (0)44 532 7876 www.ferry.co.za
- Knysna Elephant Park, Harkerville, +27 (0) 44 532 7732 www.knysnaelephantpark.co.za
- Elephant Sanctuary, The Crags +27 (0)44 534 8145 www.elephantsanctuary.co.za
- Guided township tour, cultural music and more. By prior arrangement only +27 (0)44 533 5083.
- Provence-style lunch among the vineyards of the country's first Sauvignon Blanc bubbly at Bramon Wines. +27 (0)73 833 8183 www.bramonwines.co.za
- Monkeyland is the world's first free roaming multi-species primate sanctuary. +27 (0)44 534 8906 www.monkeyland.co.za
- Walk among thousands of birds on decks among indigenous forest at Birds of Eden. +27 (0)44 534 8906 www.birdsofeden.co.za
- Wild cats up close and personal at Tenikwa Wildlife Centre. +27 (0)44 534 8170 www.tenikwa.co.za
- Top class performances at the original Barnyard Theatre, The Crags. +27 (0)44 533 5432 www.plettbarnyard.co.za
- Robberg and Keurbooms River Nature Reserves. www.capenature.org.za
- Old Nick Village outside Plettenberg Bay presents fine craft, art and design shops, workshops and a restaurant. www.oldnickvillage.co.za
- Game drives at Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve +27 (0)44 535 0000 www.plettenbergbaygamereserve.com
- Golf: Plettenberg Bay Country Club +27 (0)44 533 2132 www.plettgolf.co.za
- Golf: Goose Valley Golf Estate +27 (0)44 533 5082 www.goosevalley.net
Tsitsikamma (about 55km from Alkantmooi)
- Trails, Stormsriver Mouth suspension bridge and river cruises at Tsitsikamma National Park. +27 (0)42 281 1607 www.parks-sa.co.za
- Treetop Canopy Tours and Woodcutters Journey at Stormsriver Adventures. +27 (0)42 281 1836 www.stormsriver.com
- The world's highest bungy jump from Bloukrans Bridge. +27 (0)42 281 1458 www.faceadrenalin.com
Knysna and surrounds (between 40km and 65km from Alkantmooi)
George, Mossel Bay and Oudtshoorn (between 110km and 180km from Alkantmooi)
Garden Route Tourism Offices:
Sedgefield Tourism +27 (0)44 343 2007
Wilderness Tourism +27 (0)44 877 0045
Knysna Tourism +27 (0)44 382 5510
George Tourism +27 (0)44 801 9299
Mossel Bay Tourism +27 (0)44 691 2202
Oudtshoorn Tourism +27 (0)44 279 2532
Bitou (Plett) Tourism +27 (0)44 533 4065
Tsitsikamma Information Centre +27 (0)42 280 3561